Alaska by Kim Fielding (3 Stars)

Alaska - Kim Fielding

The story of two people who were destined to be together against all odds.

Scott and Marco are friends, and neither of them are living very pleasant lives. Scott moves from one foster home to another, while a young Marco is supporting his grandmother and sisters. As time goes by, they stay in touch periodically and watch as life continues to get harder instead of easier. It isn't looking very promising for them to have their happy ending together.

The entire story is told by Marco. We see life through his eyes, and it's not a very pleasant one. He is barely going to high school, since he has to work at menial jobs to raise money to feed his family. He really doesn't seem to have any friends except for Scott.

Unfortunately, whenever we see Marco and Scott together, they only spend a few minutes talking. I never really understood why they were friends, and I never felt like we got to know Scott at all. The story is also told over a long period of time using five-year intervals. The overall story was utterly depressing and had me in tears almost the entire time. It wasn't really a romance, but instead a reflection on life and how hard it can be when you have almost nothing.

Although I understood why Scott had to take care of his younger sisters when they were children, it was very sad watching this continue into their adult lives. Scott basically had no life except to raise money to take care of his family. There were almost no real moments of happiness or joy in this tale. The author is an excellent writer which is the only thing that saved the story for me.

If you enjoy reading about two people who were meant to be together, and who struggle their entire lives until they finally get to that moment in time where they are finally joined, then I think you'll find this heartwarming.

Originally reviewed for The Romance Reviews. Copy provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://glbt.theromancereviews.com/viewbooksreview.php?bookid=12376