Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge - Helmut Sachs Although I read a lot of books and articles that aren't romances, I rarely bother to write a review. I usually only get a few pointers out of them so it's not worth the time. However, I've been looking for a long time for a good reference book filled with ideas and tips on how to improve my memory - especially since it seems to get worse by the day. I finally found it! On top of that, the book also covers ideas on how to organize all of the information that we collect and want to keep. Since I don't believe in remembering anything that I can easily look up, this was another big win for me.

This is the kind of book that I like to read through, pick the ideas that will work best for me, and then go back and practice them. Since I started reading this about a month ago, I've been practicing a few of the techniques with positive results. Here are a some of my findings:

1- My memory isn't as bad as I thought it was. I'm perfectly capable of remembering things if I just apply myself appropriately. I've just been lazy about doing this in the past.
2- There isn't a magical button to push to remember things better. But there are some techniques, that if I practice, will help me.
3- Trying to memorize something when I'm stressed out is challenging. Taking a deep breath, relaxing, and then focusing on the issue, is extremely helpful. I can't tell you how many repeat trips to the kitchen this has already helped me to avoid!

The author presents several different techniques for each type of situation so you can pick the one that works best for you. He also provides some great examples to clarify it even more. There are also study tips in here for reading textbooks and learning a foreign language. I loved the discussion on mind mapping.

He touches on technology for managing our electronic information. Even if you don't use the specific software he refers to, you can still apply the concepts. In addition to explaining how to use several programs, he mentions many others, and has additional information on his website.

This is very well written and easy to understand manual that I will be referring to on a regular basis.

The author provided me with a copy of the book in return for an honest review. I feel like I hit the jackpot with this one!