Don't Trust the Cut - Kade Boehme Sometimes true and unconditional love can really help to heal old wounds.

Tucker Gray is an extremely shy, but sweet, young man who suffers from some serious mental health issues. As he struggles to get through his daily life while living with his best friend, he meets Jesse Bauer. Jesse was forced to retire from the marines after suffering from an injury, and now he's trying to get used to civilian life. Since Jesse has spent most of his life hiding his homosexuality, he must decide if he is willing to come out in the open for Tucker.

I was glad the story was told from both points of view since each character had a tale that needed to be told. Tucker is a well-developed character who you can't help but like. Although adored by his deceased mother, his father abandoned him upon finding out he was gay. His best friend, Alison Marks, was very straight-forward and sarcastic. She added some much-needed levity to the story. Jesse thought he would spend his life in the marines, and he is desperately trying to figure out how to adjust now that he's out. He's a very serious person who needs some light in his life.

As Jesse gets to know Tucker, he realizes that he needs to take a chance on a real relationship with Tucker. There is a lot of drama and angst for the two of them, since neither is great with relationships. We are forced to wonder about Tucker's past, just like Jesse, until much later in the story. To address them in this review would give away too much. I will say that the reason Tucker finally gives for some of his actions was heartbreaking.

My only issue with the story is that I never quite understood where Tucker was coming from. His back story wasn't fully explained, and instead we were given small glimpses into his past. I felt like the author had a serious story to tell, and wanted to share the mindset of somebody suffering, but didn't want to share too many details thus leaving too many unanswered questions. There was a very sweet epilogue which really helped to cinch the happy ending.

DON'T TRUST THE CUT tells a very well-developed relationship story with several interesting characters that addresses a difficult subject matter in a sensitive manner. The author did an excellent job keeping the story from becoming depressing while keeping me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I've truly been touched having read this very thought-provoking story.

The Romance Review

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews. Copy provided by author in return for an honest review.